The IIBEC Southern Ontario Chapter held its Annual General Meeting on January 31st, 2020 at St. George’s Golf and Country Club in Etobicoke. A total of 58 members attended the AGM for a busy day of learning, curling and networking.
The event began with an opening message from the current Chapter President Shawn Irani and an introduction to the current 2019 Board of Directors. Shawn thanked the current Board for their work throughout the year. Shawn introduced the incoming president Denis Theriault and Kevin Voorberg reviewed the 2019 Financial Statements and the proposed 2020 Budget. Following the financial statement, each of the Committee Directors provided an update on the progress of their respective committees.
Unlike past AGM’s, the election process for the new 2020 Board of Directors was held online prior to the AGM. The successful candidates are as follows:
|Shawn Irani||TSS Building Science Inc.|
|Denis Theriault||Maxim Roofing|
|John Mills||SIKA Canada|
|Jay Campbell||Dean-Chandler Roofing Limited|
|Gary Hamilton||Master Roofers Guarantee of New Brunswick|
|Stephanie Robinson||WSP Canada Inc.|
|Michel Paulin||Fishburn Sheridan & Associates Ltd.|
|Jennifer Hogan||Pretium Engineering|
|Kyle Boyce||Tremco Roofing|
|Adam Gotfraind||IKO industries|
|Lora Ferrazzo-Bourck||Artistic Skylight Domes|
|Meagan Kikuta||Tremco Roofing|
|Allen Lyte||W. Allen Partners Inc.|
|Kevin Voorberg||Tektum Consulting Group|
Actual board positions will not be made final until after the first Board of Directors meeting on February 12, 2020. We would like to recognize and thank the following departing board members: David McMillan, Russell Ibbotson, and Michael Da Silva for their contribution to the 2019 board. The Chapter benefited greatly from their time and expertise.
Awards and Recognition:
Before departing his post as President, Shawn Irani announced that the Ontario Chapter had once again been granted Platinum Level for the Chapter Awards which will be presented at this years National Convention. Chapter awards were then presented to the successful proponents:
- The “President Recognition Award” was presented to outgoing President Shawn Irani
- The “Service Recognition Award” was presented to outgoing Membership Director Russell Ibbotson.
- The “Katharine Spavins Award in Recognition of Exceptional Volunteer Service” was presented to Lora Ferrazzo-Bourck.
- The “Outstanding Sponsor Award” was presented to Dean Chandler Roofing Limited, Jay Campbell accepted the award.
The IIBEC Southern Ontario Chapter would like to acknowledge and thank the following companies for their sponsorship of this event:
- Lunch Sponsorship: Can-Sky Roofing & Sheet Metal
- Curling Sponsorship: Dean Chandler Roofing Limited
- Cocktail Sponsorship: SIKA Canada
Upon completion of the AGM, there was an educational seminar on “The Construction Act: Prompt payment and Adjudication became law in October 2019” which was presented by Catherine Willson. The seminar addressed the following topics: When the new regime applies to your projects, changes required to your construction contracts, how to manage invoicing and payments, transitioning between the old and the new, and finally, the benefits of the new Act for your business.
When the AGM and educational seminar wrapped up it was time for some lunch and beverages. After a lunch 22 members who chose to stay around took to the curling rink for a great afternoon of throwing stones. This was the fourth time this event was held in conjunction with the AGM and again it was an enjoyable event. The Chapter would like to thank the Social Committee for organizing this great event.
- The Social committee will be hosting a Post CSC Expo Social on February 26th at the Pint Public House. Please register online!
- The Education Committee is holding an upcoming “Workshop” at the TCA Toronto offices on:
- April 24, 2020, the topic is Vegetative Roofing
- An additional “Workshop” will be held on February 5-6, 2020 in Ottawa and the topic is Metal Roofing.
- The next breakfast seminar will be held on March 12th
- The Annual Golf Tournament will be held June 17th, 2020 at Lionhead Golf Club. Stay tuned for more details!